Thursday, August 2, 2012

Vegan Pesto



Pasta with Pesto sauce was one of my favorite meals as a kid, when I turned 18 and discovered a strong intolerance to lactose, Pesto was one of the things that I missed most. As our world becomes more allergy friendly, there are so many recipes out there for people with all types of enzyme deficiencies, allergies and eating lifestyles. I have discovered that vegan Pesto is just as delicious and certainly lighter. A nice alternative for people who are lactose intolerant or trying to cut calories, a perfect sauce on fish, pasta, chicken, etc...enjoy!!

Ingredients:
2 cups, washed, fresh Basil
1/2 cup shelled pecans or walnuts or pine nuts
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1/2 cup good tasting extra virgin olive oil or as needed
Sea salt and fresh ground Pepper to taste

Makes roughly one cup of Pesto.

Method:

Step one: combine the fresh basil, nuts, and garlic and olive oil in a food processor, (I use the Cuisinart Mini Chop which I love)until it becomes a smooth, light paste.


Step two: Season with sea salt, to taste.

Step three: Cover and store in the refrigerator for at least one hour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment