Thursday, November 15, 2012

Orrechiette with Chicken Sausage and Zucchini




What's in my fridge? Yesterday when I was trying to think of something to make for dinner (and really didn't want to make a trip to the store) I tried to think of what I could come up with using the current contents of my refrigerator/freezer. I remembered some chicken sausage that I had put in my freezer a few weeks ago and went from there. This experience has inspired me to be more creative with my groceries and try to avoid wasting fresh ingredients. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1/2 spanish onion, finely chopped
2 medium zucchini, chopped
1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped in half
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 vegetable bouillon
1/4 cup of water
2 chicken sausage links (applegate farms is my favorite)
1/2 cup dry white wine
salt
pepper

Method:

Step one: Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-heat. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.

Step two: Add onion and saute for 7 minutes or until translucent, stirring constantly.

Step three: Add sausage and saute for 8 minutes.

Step four: Add white wine, water, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and vegetable bouillon, continue to cook until the liquid has almost reduced by half. Add the zucchini and tomatoes, cover and cook about 10-12 minutes or until zucchini is soft. Season with salt and pepper.


Step five: Boil water in a medium sized pot, once boiling add orrechiette and cook for 10 minutes, this timing is for al dente consistency. (this timing is for dry pasta, for fresh pasta please see instructions on packaging).


On a side note a few ingredients that I would always recommend having on hand:

Garlic- I personally love garlic, an easy way to add a lot of flavor to a dish.

Spanish or Yellow Onion- onions are an ingredient in so many great recipes.

Chicken or vegetable broth- a key ingredient to most recipes with  a sauce, also a great ingredient to have on hand to make soups with leftovers.



No comments:

Post a Comment